5.7.11

Saddle Mountain Hike



It was time...
The mountain called...
We couldn't have asked for a more beautiful day, though it might could have been a little cooler. If you plan on hiking Saddle Mtn. in 80 degree weather, wear sunblock!
I only remembered to put some on my face over halfway up the mountain and as a result my arms are quite red.

But is was otherwise great! Wildflowers grow everywhere, and with the clear skies we actually got to enjoy a view other than fog, fog, fog.
At the top you can see the ocean and the sand, miles away, the Columbia river, Astoria and across the water, Washington.


Pretty flowers!

And below you can see Mt. St. Helens and another mountain which I can't remember what it's name is.
Also you can see Mt. Hood and Mt. Rainier in Washington.
Mt. Doom. LOL! You probably can't see the metal railing at the top, but that's a little over a quarter of mile you have to hike to get to the top (of course, from below it looks absolutely impossible to weary soul!)

Yes, that's Cait standing on a rock.
Fascinating. Too bad she shed the bright yellow hat for that pic.
It's a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooong way down!
I think it's amazing that that is ALL ROCK!



My pretty, soon-to-be sister-in-law (oops!). She made it to the top!

And, more mountain...


















Walking out on an outcrop. Also a long way down.

It was here that I started wondering why we torture ourselves this way. Is the view really worth an early death?
Okay, maybe just a stroke.
LOL.








So close yet so far...























Rocks...






















More rocks...


















Wouldn't ya know it? More rock!




















The blue horizon, that's the ocean.










You can almost see the top...Of THAT rise anyway.








No, that's not the top! We still have a whole mile to go!
Hit the trail...
"Even some of the trees are on her side!"
Breathtaking. That's the view after about the first half mile.
"You guys go on a head! I'll just pass out here!"
Long story short: we climbed a mountain, came back down, and nobody died.

4 comments:

Christi said...

I hiked Saddle Mountain with my Dad and a friend last fall.

Why do we love Oregon? How could you not?!!

Megan said...

Oh I love Oregon, don't get me wrong!
But I think its kinda funny the way we were so excited about this hike. "It's going to be so much fun!" we said.
Close to the top I began wondering what exactly we meant by "fun".
Did that mean suffering a heatstroke, or just acute mountain sickness?
LOL.

Christi said...

Oh, I totally know what you mean. It's amazing how fast a wonderful idea can turn to a horrible idea. But it's pretty cool to be able to say "I did it!"

What would life be without challenges? You'd never grow, never try anything new, never see the view from the top of a mountain!

Megan said...

You hit some nails right on the head, Christi!
Veni, Vidi, Vici.
I love feeling that I've conquered something.
Ha, ha!