Though its color brightly shine
Can never see its purpose
In the pattern of the grand design
And the stone that sits on the very top
Of the mountains mighty face
Does it think its more important than the stones that form the base?
So how how can you see what your life is worth
Or where your value lies?
You can never see through the eyes of man
You must look at your life
Look at your life through Heaven's eyes
A lake of gold in the desert sand
Is less than a cool fresh spring
And to one lost sheep, a shepherd boy
Is greater than the richest king
If a man lose ev'rything he owns
Has he truly lost his worth?
Or is it the beginning
Of a new and brighter birth?
So how do you measure the worth a a man
In wealth or strength or size?
In how much he gained or how much he gave?
The answer will come
The answer will come to him who tries
To look at his life through Heaven's eyes
And that's why we share all we have with you
Though there's little to be found
When all you've got is nothing
There's a lot to go around
No life can escape being blown about
By the winds of change and chance
And though you may never know all the steps
You must learn to join the dance
You must learn to join the dance
So how do you judge what a man is worth
By what he builds or buys?
You can never see with your eyes on earth
Look through Heaven's eyes
Look at your life
Look at your life
Look at your life through Heaven's eyes!
-Through Heaven's Eyes from The Prince of Egypt
How true! At the start of the year I resolved to read through the entire Bible, cover to cover. Unfortunately I've missed lots of days, thus I am only just now beginning Leviticus.
I really enjoyed reading through Exodus though. I've heard a lot of people say how now matter how many times you read through the Bible, God shows you something new each time.
And He does!
I've always loved the story of Moses. Its such a dramatic story; a people enslaved, a chosen leader who seemed like quite the unlikely saviour, their triumph through God's awesome and wondrous might, and it has the double merit of being absolutely true!
I got to thinking about how Moses was raised as an Egyptian; he probably loved Egypt, its lifestyle and its people. He called it his home.
Gleaming in the moonlight
Cool and clean and all I've ever known
All I ever wanted
Sweet perfumes of incense
Graceful rooms of alabaster stone
All I ever wanted
This is my home
With my father, mother, brother
Oh so noble, oh so strong
Now I am home
Here among my trappings and belongings
I belong
And if anybody doubts it
They couldn't be more wrong
I am a sovereign prince of Egypt
A son of the proud history that's shown
Etched on every wall
Surely this is all I ever wanted
All I ever wanted...
-All I Ever Wanted from The Prince of Egypt
Patriotism? Yet he left if all, ran from it, and eventually served as his Pharaoh's enemy on God's behalf. How much that must have hurt him. Really grieved him. I can understand that! If it were me in his shoes, I don't know if I could have done it. It hurts to see our country crumbling like it is, and to see that most people don't even care about what we've become! But I still love my country. Its mine. Its all I've ever known. Like it or not, the people of America are my people, they are your people!
(ahem, excuse the ranting there) Anyway, I was thinking about how love for your country can move you to save it, make a difference, etc...When you see somebody you love in danger, about to get hurt, you want to help them, snatch them back to safety. Patriotism should move me (and all of us who care about our country) to do something!
Yet in Moses's case, patriotism could only go so far. He had to completely let go. These were once his people whom he now called plague after plague upon.
Once I called you brother
Once I thought the chance
to make you laugh
Was all I ever wanted...
And even now I wish that God
had chose another
Serving as your foe on His behalf
Is the last thing that I wanted
This was my home!
All this pain and devastation
How it tortures me inside
All the innocent who suffer
From your stubbornness and pride!
-The Plagues
I can see a parallel in this story today.
Can you?
"For our citizenship is in Heaven, from which we also eagerly wait for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ..." Phil. 3:20
My loyalty is to Heaven first, American second, if you get me. America is my temporary home, and I will strive to do whatever I can to be a good steward of this land God had placed me in, but if it ever happened that I had to chose between serving God and serving my country, giving my loyalty to one or the other, God wins.
And just so you know, if you don't have Christ, you won't win.
So yeah, that's what my daily devo has been about.
1 comment:
Very inspiring post, Megan! ;) I love the story of Moses! The music from the Prince of Egyp is amazing too. We were just listening to the soundtrack today. :)
Post a Comment