29.6.11

What homeschoolers do for fun


Or if not the homeschoolers, than maybe just the weirdos.
I might possibly classify myself as a weirdo.

What are they doing?
Butchering chickens, of course!


"Ha, ha! I'm gonna teach you the meanin' of pain!"

"Say goodbye!"
CHOP!
"Goodbye!"
I LOVE chickens! Especially fried!

I told Cait when she started on this crazy venture that I wasn't going to have anything to do with it.
And at first I didn't. I helped Mom out inside with the little guys, but when they went down for their naps, what was I supposed to do?
I don't think I was too scared to slit the chickens throat, it's just too sad, even to someone
who doesn't like the birds, to watch the creature struggle in the cone upside-down and slowly bleed to death.
What a terrible way to die!
So, instead I dipped the birds in the scalder, I actually chopped the head and legs off but guess what else!
I HAD TO STICK MY HAND INSIDE OF A CHICKEN !!!
I actually had to gut the wretched bird!
It was undeniably gross worming my hand around it's insides trying to scoop out the still warm entrails.
Blegh!
I never actually managed to gut a whole chicken. Dear friend Elizabeth had to finish the job for me.
I think I can credit myself with dressing maybe two birds.
Everyone else worked waaay harder.
So I really didn't do much, but, hey, I didn't sign on for this nasty job.

However, I AM proud to say that it didn't pass out or throw up.

2 comments:

Goat Song said...

The chickens did NOT die slowly, silly sister! We did a very good job and they died instantaneously. So ha! The frantic "struggling" was their nervous system shutting down, not them trying to get out of the cones!

Megan said...

"He was twitching because he had MY axe embedded in his nervous system!"

I still say it's a cruel way to die.

Your equipment kinda looked like some instruments of ancient Chinese torture.