25.10.10

This week...

I've been knitting like crazy! And even still, I'm nowhere near finished with my current scarf!
I started out with a knit 2, purl 2 pattern to make a nice ribbed pattern all the way up, but, me being me, I made some ridiculous mistake which practically shifted all my stitches to the right, so now it's start on knit 2 and end on purl 1. Always. :D

I made a Texas sheet cake.
Now this cake was for our pastor appreciation night, and I really did not want to mess it up.
So what do you think I did?
Messed it up.
I mixed up the dry ingredient, and just as I was about to pour the cocoa/butter mixture over it, I realized the horrible mistake I'd made!
It must've been the Holy Spirit, because how else does one suddenly realize that you had doubled the salt and the baking powder and you weren't even supposed to put baking powder in!?
I'd always wondered if there was a lot of difference between baking powder and baking soda.
My next blunder was not putting enough powdered sugar in the icing. Apparently, it's supposed to be just like the icing out of the can, fairly solid and spreadable.
Oh, mine spread all right, then it proceeded to run over the sides of the baking pan in a waterfall of chocolate.
I think God has given me lots of gifts that I can use for Him, but baking is not one of them
Stay tuned for more of The Adventures of an Unadventurous Cook! The blunders of a hapless chef!

And now, I have to tell this story.
You probably remember those Hope-kits I was collecting and putting together, right?
Well, after I shipped off that package, my stores were depleted of all save a tube of toothpaste, a few combs and a bar of soap.
I really would like this to be an ongoing thing, a collective ship-it-when-I-can thing, rather just a one-time thing.
But I wasn't sure I had enough money to put anything into my stock-pile at the time, so I decided to wait until after Christmas.
Well, at Intel, there was some sort of open-house thingamabob (don't ask me what it was about, I don't know, I didn't go) and I guess there were a bunch of booths and all.
Dad got a trinket for everybody, a plastic bag made out of recycled water bottles, a fridge magnet in the form of fake teeth, etc... I guess there was some sort of health-dental theme going on, and what do you think Dad's surprise for me was?
That's right.
Toothbrushes.
"Here's something for Meg," he said as he passed out the odd paraphernalia that night. He handed me a toothbrush.
"Oh, and here's something else!"
Another toothbrush.
And it kept going until I had six or seven toothbrushes piled in my lap! :P

No, I haven't been driving much. Chris got a job, so my chances of commandeering his car are slimmer now.
I do have a key for it though!

No comments: