11.9.10

September 11

National Patriotic Day.
A day when Americans should take the time to pause...

And remember.
Wow. Nine years ago. I was six. I wasn't aware of what happened that day, as I'm sure few six year-olds did.
We've had combat troops in Iraq for about seven years, and troops in Afghanistan for about two months short of nine years.
Most of the flag pics you see on my blog are pics Dad took at a 9-11 memorial in Salem several years ago (I was maybe eight)
I think it was then that I first became aware that something had happened on September 11th.
"What are all the flags for?" was my question to the wiser older sibling.
"It's a 9-11 memorial."
"What's 9-11?"
"It's when two big planes crashed into a building."
"Ooh...."
Where am I going with all this?
I don't know.
Supposedly the war in Iraq and Afghanistan is over. Troops are coming home every day.
But I can't help but wonder how long this peace will last, just keeping in mind our President and his ties and all that which I know much less than anybody about.
I'm sure we only have the faithful who picketed for 'Peace in the Middle East' to thank for this peace.
I'm joking, really.

My main point being, think back, take a minute to remember and honor the people who lost their lives on this day, nine years ago, and all the people who lost their lives fighting for you and your freedom and, yes, peace as a result.

I agree with Theodore Roosevelt; The more we know about the past, the better prepared we are for the future.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't watch this video--it's too emotional for me.

Wow, that's an amazing quote. 8)

Megan said...

I know, its hard to watch for me, too.
I can't even imagine what that must have been like for the people in those buildings or the airliners.