The Dressmaker of Khair Khana
by Gayle Tzemach Lemmon
Readability:10!
Impact:10
Recommend it? YES!
Read it again? YES!!!!
What to expect: "The incredible, true account of Kamila Sidiqi who, when her father and brother are forced to flee Kabul, became the sole breadwinner of her five siblings. Armed with only grit and determination, she picked up a needle and thread and created a thriving business of her own and held her family together."
My thoughts on it: Well, it was great book! The determination of the sisters to keep their family together with what little they had is truly inspiring!
But what struck me the most is the way it portrayed the Afghan women.
I had read another book concerning Taliban-controlled Kabul and the picture of these women (of whom I really knew nothing about) was that of veiled women in a strange, very different culture, one that seemed like something from the age of the crusades almost.
In my mind I saw broken and desperate women who begged on the roadsides, eager for any handouts.
The image presented in The Dressmaker of Khair Khana was that of a proud and courageous group of people, fiercely determined and capable of not only supporting themselves, but their families and friends. People who looked out for each other, even when they had almost nothing. People who were capable of rebuilding their country.
Granted, this book still reveals the poverty that the Afghans have endured over years and years of war and conflict, but it really emphasized on the Afghans who took action to help themselves and their communities, rather than begging and waiting for foreign aid.
It doesn't matter that they are Muslim. God still loves them, and God still cares for the widow and the orphan. In my daily Bible reading, I have been surprised by how many times it is told and retold that God defends the cause of the needy and the oppressed, and that we are to do the same.
Definitely a must-read! It isn't a best seller for no reason! I had to wait a while to get it from the library, since their were 17 holds on the first returned of like 4 copies!
And, just because I thought some seemed to suite this post, and some of them are just great for life, I thought I'd post a few quotes from Mother Teresa that I really like.
|
|
"If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other."
"What can you do to promote world peace? Go home and love your family."
"If you can't feed a hundred people, feed just one."
"Love to be real, it must cost—it must hurt—it must empty us of self."
"People are unrealistic, illogical, and self-centered. Love them anyway."
"Let us make one point, that we meet each other with a smile, when it is difficult to smile. Smile at each other, make time for each other in your family."
"Words which do not give the light of Christ increase the darkness."
"Intense love does not measure it just gives. "
"Let us not be satisfied with just giving money. Money is not enough, money can be got, but they need your hearts to love them. So, spread your love everywhere you go."
"Pain and suffering have come into your life, but remember pain, sorrow, suffering are but the kiss of Jesus - a sign that you have come so close to Him that He can kiss you."
"In the home begins the disruption of the peace of the world."
"It is easy to love the people far away. It is not always easy to love those close to us. It is easier to give a cup of rice to relieve hunger than to relieve the loneliness and pain of someone unloved in our own home. Bring love into your home for this is where our love for each other must start."
"Keep the corners of your mouth turned up. Speak in a low, persuasive tone. Listen; be teachable. Laugh at good stories and learn to tell them...For as long as you are green, you can grow."
2 comments:
Sounds like a very good book! Reminds me of a book I read called The Breadwinner. :)
~Krista
Krista, I recently read the Breadwinner at your recommendation, and it was great!
Post a Comment