11.12.14

Status Update

About two months ago I posted saying I was officially an EMT-Basic.
Well, truth be told, that got a little boring...

So true, especially the pictures of what paramedics and firefighters think we do

Not really.
Being an EMT is an awesome job! However, it is a fact that most of the time Paramedics save patients. EMT's save Paramedics.
Paramedic minions - love  my minions












 















So, long story short, I found out on Dec. 4th that I have been accepted into Chemeketa's Paramedic program for Spring of 2015.
Am I excited?
HECK YES!! I have three or four current classmates who also applied for the program and were accepted, so we were all in a super-excited, ecstatic kind of euphoria during our last day of class. :)
I am so excited!!!
Being is sleeper gives me a huge advantage. It's not just the monthly stipend, the fact that I don't have to pay rent, the calls I get to run and the experience I get.
It's the knowledge I get to draw from all these other people here who have been in EMS a whole lot longer than I have.
 My shift supervisor is teaching me and my partner some basics about three ALS drugs each shift (name, indications and dosage) and is helping me learn about 12-leads. Another one of the Paramedics spent most of the drive back from Salem helping me understanding EKGs, V-fib, A-fib, and Bundle branch blocks. And of course, my favorite dorm neighbor is helping me mentally prepare for the nightmare than will be paramedic school.
In order to live the dream, you have to live through the nightmare--but don't worry! It will be worth it!
Paramedic quote

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That last picture made me laugh! So cool you're going all the way! :) Have fun. ;) Miss you. It was fun being neighbors while it lasted.

Merry Christmas!

Katie M said...

Oh my goodness glad you are still alive!!!! ;-) lol I am so excited for you! The first 6 weeks of medic school are the worst. Once you are past those it starts to get fun because you get to start poking people ;-)lol either that, or you just get used to the work load... either way, you're going to do great!!!! Way to go getting a head start on your drugs! That will help you a ton! So exciting! :-)

Anonymous said...

Bundle branch blocks, cool! I think we have a problem with that down at the creek. You can help us clear it out. Awesome stuff!

Dad