7.6.14

Day of Dissections

   I wasn't feeling too perky that day...I'd gotten up at about a quarter 'til 6 that morning (which at that point in the term was horrendously early for me), crawled around on my hands and knees in too-large turnouts and SCBA for a couple hours for lab that day, propped my eyelids open long enough to work on my lecture assignment at the campus library while killing time, sat on my rear-end at the Willamette Valley 911 center for 2 hours listening to all the emergency calls (or, more often that not, non-emergency calls) that came in, then went back to the main campus for an Anatomy & Physiology exam and to pick up my lab kit.
It was a busy day, and it took a lot of mental fortitude just to open the box and explore its contents.
 Oh, eeeww! Is that an entire brain in there!? And there's an eyeball in there too! A whole eyeball, just staring up at me through its plastic bag. There was a box within the box, which contained a round, creamy-colored parcel swathed in foam wrap, roughly the size of an adult human skull.
That did it.
The box went in my closet.
Yes, I have a skeleton in my closet. ;)

 -Fast-forward 7 weeks-
 Having spent several weeks studying the nervous system, it was finally time to dissect the sheep's brain.
Unfortunately, this assignment coincided with a nasty virus that took down the entire family. Thinking about the sheep brain and the cow eyeball and the very strong smell of formaldehyde didn't exactly make me feel better. But, the day after the majority of the vomiting had subsided I set up camp outside on the deck, enlisting Emily as my professional photographer for the day.
 Yes, it stank. No it was not as gross as it seemed the day I picked up the lab kit.
So without further ado, here are some pictures from my amateurish dissections.
Enjoy.







The pictures had to be labelled and put into a powerpoint before being submitted. Our instructor said to be creative.
I hope she appreciated my creativity.

5 comments:

Hannah C. said...

Eww... You're brave, Megan! ;)

Katie M said...

Oh I remember those days lol

Megan said...

Not brave, Hannah, just determined. Big difference. ;)

Glad to know you can sympathize with me, Katie, although you probably weren't grossed out by it.

Anonymous said...

Wow. That's just what I wanted to see today. a human Brain and eyeball. Thank you. :(

LOL.

Megan said...

Oh, no! Not human--praise the Lord. I honestly do not think I could have done it if they had been human. It was a sheep's brain and a cow eye. :)