What vortex do I speak of? I shall tell you...
It is the fandom vortex.
It sweeps across the world, catching up whomever it will.
You could be next.
I swore that I would never allow myself to be caught up in its devastating grasp...yet here I am, engulfed (at least in part) by a fandom I never saw coming.
Okay, so I have this thing against BBC films. I'd seen the BBC version of Emma, and it was okay, but after that my sisters went on this whole BBC marathon...or craze if you will. Cranford, Wives and Daughters, Candleford. They all seemed to be somewhat the same. English town, too many characters to keep up with, same ol' same ol' romances, bad quality picture, etc, etc...Just my personal opinion here, not a professional one!
I don't even know how it started--wait, yes I do!
I was sitting on the couch that night, headphones crammed into my auditory canals, sketching while Mom and Em turned yet another one of those wretched BBC TV shows. What I don't know is what is was that caught my attention, made me take out the headphones and put down the pencils.
Whatever it was, it is irrevocable.
My dominant impression of these films was silly people in silly romances who never could make up their minds.
And maybe they can't make up their minds, that's true, but Downton Abbey has introduced some marvelously intricate characters, and they tell a story that has captured my interest and won't let it go.
Sybil, the political daughter and red cross nurse during the war...
Bates, the footman who refused to let himself fall in love again until he had done right by the law...

William, the young man who stood up for and stood by what he believed in...
This is me, thinking, "All the guys in these films are always the same. Dandified Englishmen. Guys in coattails and top hats who won't get their hands dirty and always seem to have long hair!"



It is the fandom vortex.
It sweeps across the world, catching up whomever it will.
You could be next.
I swore that I would never allow myself to be caught up in its devastating grasp...yet here I am, engulfed (at least in part) by a fandom I never saw coming.

Okay, so I have this thing against BBC films. I'd seen the BBC version of Emma, and it was okay, but after that my sisters went on this whole BBC marathon...or craze if you will. Cranford, Wives and Daughters, Candleford. They all seemed to be somewhat the same. English town, too many characters to keep up with, same ol' same ol' romances, bad quality picture, etc, etc...Just my personal opinion here, not a professional one!
I don't even know how it started--wait, yes I do!
I was sitting on the couch that night, headphones crammed into my auditory canals, sketching while Mom and Em turned yet another one of those wretched BBC TV shows. What I don't know is what is was that caught my attention, made me take out the headphones and put down the pencils.
Whatever it was, it is irrevocable.
My dominant impression of these films was silly people in silly romances who never could make up their minds.
And maybe they can't make up their minds, that's true, but Downton Abbey has introduced some marvelously intricate characters, and they tell a story that has captured my interest and won't let it go.
Sybil, the political daughter and red cross nurse during the war...
Bates, the footman who refused to let himself fall in love again until he had done right by the law...
William, the young man who stood up for and stood by what he believed in...
This is me, thinking, "All the guys in these films are always the same. Dandified Englishmen. Guys in coattails and top hats who won't get their hands dirty and always seem to have long hair!"
As an audience member, there's always this helpless rage because I know who's in love with whom, I know who should be together, who's a trouble maker.
I want to get rid of all the nasty people (and there are quite a few of them!), but I think this film (at least, at this point in it--I haven't seen all of it, so disclaimer here!) is unique in that it shows this household, this group of people who have to learn to live with and deal with people who are disagreeable. The "bad guys" don't always get what they so richly deserve, and sometimes others have to surrender their rights, or what they perceive as their rights.
The plot is so intricate, always twisting in unexpected ways. But one does not simply stop watching, no matter how many seasons there are!
You start to get attached to a lot of the characters, and I have a sneaking suspicion that if you let yourself get too attached it will break your heart!
"Break your heart?"
"I half."
"Like a grape."
But anyway, I'm rambling. I think the real moral of this story is to stand guard, lest you too be sucked into the black-hole of fandoms, from which there is no return...ever.
Welcome to Downton Abbey. Enjoy your stay.
As a disclaimer, we have skipped some parts/episodes of the series.
3 comments:
And yes... Dad, too, has been sucked ever so mercilessly into the vortex.
Dad
Noooo!!! Don't go down that path, Megan! Don't do it!! :lol:
I haven't seen that show, but people have been raving about it so much I practically don't need to. :Lol:. I'll warn you... I heard that tragedy happens in the later seasons... That's all I'll say.
Noooo!!! Don't go down that path, Megan! Don't do it!! :lol:
I haven't seen that show, but people have been raving about it so much I practically don't need to. :Lol:. I'll warn you... I heard that tragedy happens in the later seasons... That's all I'll say.
Post a Comment