
Ah, don't you love that? As summer finally starts to fade into fall, you anticipate it.
The stacks of shiny new textbooks.
Your new school binder with that graduated grade written on it (12th!! Finally!!).
Your new school clothes (not really).
The smell of paper and pencils.
I love being homeschooled.
We don't have to get early. ;P
We set our own time table.
I don't have to rush to make a lunch or catch the bus (thank heavens!) or some form of transportation to school.
I take a lunch break whenever I'm ready, along with second-breakfast, elevensies, twelvsies, and afternoon teas.
LOL.
I have some influence in determining the curriculum we use.
I can sometimes help teach the little ones.
I learn by helping my siblings with their school.
I self-educate in some ways.
I can study at my own pace. I have a little more leeway in getting assignments done.
Sounds like homeschoolers are pretty lazy, huh?
Not all. I often say that I'm the exception to every rule.
I'm not trying to put public-schooled kids down. No way. I have friends who are public-schooled and are very smart.
But I do believe the advantages of homeschooling far outweigh any disadvantages.
I'd say the only downsides I can think of are not having a language teacher (I can read, say, a biology or history textbook and learn, but for me, I really need to be able to hear someone speak the language and answer all my questions about grammar), since my parents don't speak Spanish or Arabic. Also, you miss out on the unspeakable thrill of packing a lunch a little lunchbox.
You would not believe how much I envied kids who got to take their lunchboxes to school. :)
Any way...I didn't actually get on here to try and convince you to homeschool your kids or that I'm smarter than a public-schooler, blah, blah, blah...
I'm just back to school, rejoicing as a strong man to run a race.
I smile as a open my purple polka-dotty binder, uncharacteristic for someone who likes camouflage and red, white and blue.
This is my senior year (hopefully--assuming I work hard enough) and I'm determined to go out in a blaze of glory.
Sort of. ;P
I'm taking Algebra II and Geometry, true to my falling-behind-gotta-catch-up system, and I'm doubling up in science with Chemistry and Anatomy & Physiology, not because I have to, really. I could put A&P off, but I enjoyed the toes-in-the-water stuff I learned in Biology and am excited to learn more.My SAT scores we're around average. Reading and writing s little above, math a little below and my essay smack in the middle of the scale. I'm thinking about taking the test again, in hopes of bringing my math scores up to the required score to qualify for the Chemeketa Scholars program.
Fun, fun, fun!
Happy homeschooling! Oh, and happy public-schooling, too!
1 comment:
I am excited to start school, too. :) I think we are starting tomorrow if all goes well. Way to go finishing strong! I am encouraged to do more now... whether I will take that into action or not I don't know. LOL
I hope your school year goes really well!
Post a Comment